Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pumpkin Soup

Winters here and craving warm lunches it's a soup kind of day today! My Mum & Dad gave me a pumpkin when I got sick back in April but told me to let it sit for a bit first, craving that warm liquid today it was my go to ingredient!

So it's a throw together Sonia style recipe today. I love the roasting vege technique from my Tomato Soup with cashew sambal
http://fafamilyrecipes.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/tomato-soup-with-cashew-and-coconut.html

So that's where I started into a large roasting pan I added
Drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle Murray River Salt, http://www.sunsalt.com.au/
Grind black pepper. Then onto chopping 1/2 Queensland blue pumpkin peeled and cubed about 4cm, small kumara peeled and chopped about same size, 1 red capsicum de-seeded chopped, 2 red onions peeled and quartered, 6 cloves garlic peeled.
Toss to coat with oil, as I didn't have enough oil I then sprayed the tops with some spray olive oil. Put into oven about 200 degrees for an hour or till smelling cooked and soft to a knife poke

Remove from oven

Onto the stove top into a Large saucepan or soup pot sauté in a little spray oil and a nob of butter 2 diced red onions and 1 diced brown onion, teaspoon of grated fresh or from the jar ginger, about the same of chopped chilli, and about 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, till fragrant and onions are softened.

Tip the veggies from the roasting pan into the soup pot
Put the roasting pan in the stove top and deglaze with a little of 2 litres of vegetable stock before adding it and the remainder if the stock to the soup pot.

Get in with the stick blender and blend till smooth. Check for seasoning and adjust to your taste.

We served it with a crumbling of goats feta and a sprig of basil with a slice of toasted rye sourdough

No comments:

Post a Comment