I spent 1 hour compiling this recipe post yesterday and then blogger through a hissy fit and lost the lot, not even a draft copy totally devastated...but here we go, perhaps with less story this time...promise you yesterdays was worth reading....LOL
Sarah Sun a Facebook follower, requested that I share my Christmas Turkey Recipe, and I realised that I had started this last Christmas well the recipe for the Stuffing balls, so I thought perhaps its almost time for Christmas in July let's share the lot in one post.
Christmas is special in our family, and my sister and I now take turns in hosting the Christmas Day lunch, but for the last few years I have always brought the Stuffing balls to her home too. I can thank Coles and their free magazines for a lot of these recipes, from the simple PROSCIUTTO-WRAPPED TURKEY which is a family favourite all year not just at Christmas, which are accompanied by CRANBERRY RELISH in the 2007 magazine and I think the same year in the TASTE best ever freebie came the CRANBERRY STUFFING BALLS. Then more recently in 2009 I decided on my turn to cook that I would try and debone and stuff a turkey breast using ROLLED TURKEY BREAST WITH PISTACHIO AND CRANBERRY STUFFING Recipe by Bill Granger from bill's food, served with my new favourite CRANBERRY CHERRY & ALMOND RELISH
Prep 30 mins
Cooking 1 1/4 hours
- 1Kg Steggles Turkey Breast Roast, thawed
- 5 slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 200C. Remove the plastic from the foil container and cover the turkey breast roll with a piece of foil. Place in the oven, cook for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the piece of foil. Carefully invert the turkey roll into a large baking pan, and discard the original foil container.
- Drape the prosciutto over the turkey, and use toothpicks to secure each end (I have never used the toothpicks). Return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- 250g jar whole berry cranberry sauce
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Combine the cranberry sauce, orange rind and thyme; set aside. Serve with the Turkey!!
|Pictured above Cranberry Relish and just under the spinach leaf is one of the Stuffing Balls.|
CRANBERRY STUFFING BALLS
Prep 20 mins
Cooking 25 mins
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups stale white breadcrumbs
- 75g dried cranberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 50g butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut each prosciutto slice length ways into four pieces.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Transfer to bowl. Add breadcrumbs, cranberries, egg, sage and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Shape tablespoons of mixture into 16 balls. Wrap one slice of prosciutto around each ball. Place on prepared tray. Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until browned and heated through. Serve.
ROLLED TURKEY BREAST WITH PISTACHIO AND CRANBERRY STUFFING
Recipe by Bill Granger from bill's food
- 1 x 1-1.5kg boneless Turkey breast with skin (I could only get a breast on the bone - so with my Dad's help we soon learnt how to debone it - well worth the hard work.)
- 1 tablespoon melted Butter
Pistachio and cranberry stuffing Ingredients
- 40 g Butter
- 1 Onion chopped
- 100 g chopped pancetta rind removed
- 1 crushed Garlic Clove
- 120 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Sage
- 100 g craisins (sweetened dried cranberries)
- 50 g roughly chopped Pistachios
- sea salt
- Ground black Pepper
Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5). Put the turkey breast, skin-side-down, on a board.
Spoon the cooled stuffing down the middle of the breast and then roll up the turkey to enclose the stuffing.
Tie the turkey with kitchen string every 2 cm (about an inch) to secure and then place in a large roasting tin.
Brush the entire surface of the turkey with melted butter.
Roast for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and the juices run clear when you poke a skewer into the thickest part of the breast.
Cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Pistachio and cranberry stuffing Method
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3–4 minutes until softened.
Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until cooked through.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Tip everything into a large bowl.
Add the breadcrumbs, sage, craisins and pistachios, season well and stir together.
Leave to cool completely before using.
Link to previously posted
CRANBERRY CHERRY & ALMOND RELISH
Then I guess I should share this wonderful ham recipe with you too....enjoy and happy Christmas be it July or December!!!