Friday, June 17, 2011

Asian Style Salmon en Papillote

Recently when the Masterchef challenge was on it reminded me of this dish and its a family favourite that's been a while since I last cooked...so it was requested, and here is how I do it...it obviously came from somewhere, but for the life of me I don't recall, and well as I do it now just from memory - there aren't really any measurements but I will keep a note as I cook, just so I can share with you all.


Here is a link on how to fold it properly, that I have used.....but sometimes just scrunching the ends is just as good ;)

OK here goes for round 2 - blogger wasn't helpful. there isn't a recipe as such, I have just estimated what I have done as I have gone along.
This is a real taste and test as you go, to be sure that you get the right sweet, salty and sour perfect.
1 bunch of Bok Choy, washed and leaves separated
4 pieces of Salmon
1/2 Red Onion finely diced
1 clove Garlic finely diced
1 small piece of ginger finely diced ( 1 teaspoon from the jar kind )
1 chilli finely diced ( 1 teaspoon from the jar kind - :) yep it's whats on hand tonight)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
juice of one lime ( sometime more sometimes less)
1 disc of palm sugar chopped ( or if you don't have it 2 tablespoons brown sugar will work)

Simmer all but the bok choy and salmon in a small saucepan just till the onion and garlic are softened and the sugar dissolved - yep taste it now to be sure that it's just got that sweet, sour, salty flavour right - adjust with either the sugar or lime here) set aside.
Take 4 sheets of baking paper and fold them in half
Place a selection of the bok choy leaves on one side near the fold
Place the Salmon on top, drizzle about 2 table spoons of the onion syrup mix over the salmon - as pictured below

Then fold the paper over and starting on the left with the fold at the back, work from left to right just folding and bending as you go - the link above explains this better...but you get half circles like below, slide onto a baking tray and then pop in a moderately hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes. The time it takes to steam some rice in the microwave

1 cup rice 2 cups water in a large uncovered bowl for 16 minutes on high - perfect rice every time. Let the rice stand for a few minutes before serving.


Dish up and enjoy - let me know if you like it.

Tip - If you have a bunch of coriander - I didn't tonight - I like to chop some and sprinkle over the salmon before serving just for that fresh touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment