Perfect timing for Christmas in July events....
.get your Christmas Cake cooked now.!!!
I have been baking this for over 10 years and never had a disaster, I usually do a double batch and manage to make a round, a square and about 16 small loaves. In 2008 I baked them in the papercraft tins, It only made 8 small cakes, with my round and loaf tins - the round is saved for Christmas day, the loaf tin is what I serve in the lead up to Christmas day.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 500g sultanas
- 250g raisins
- 250g dates chopped
- 125g currents
- 125g pitted prunes chopped
- 100g glace aprictos chopped
- 100g glace cherries halved
- 2 tblspns grated orange rind
- 1/2cup brandy
- 1/2 cup water
- 250g butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup treacle
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tspn mixed spice
- decorate with whole blanched almonds and pecans
- Mix fruit, rind, brandy, and water, cover, store overnight or for up to 1 month (stir occasionally)
- Preheat oven 150 degrees, Grease and triple line tin (mixture does both round (23cm) tin and loaf tin.
- Beat butter, sugar, & treacle until creamy, add eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Stir into fruit mixture. Add flour & spice, mix until combined.
- Spoon into tins, tap tins on bench, smooth then decorate.
- BAKE 3 -3 1/2 hours.
- While hot drizzle with brandy cool in tin wrapped in a towel. When cold remove from tin wrap in glad wrap and store for up to 3 months.