This is a real childhood memory for me, I remember my Dad's Mum, my Nanna Jackson always baking one and it was the best, I don't have her recipe but this is our family favourite.
- 1 Cup plain flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 75g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 150ml water
- juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
- 3 eggs separated YOLKS for filling WHITES for topping.
- 1/3 cup caster sugar extra
- Sift flour and sugar together in a bowl.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (I grate my butter into the flour, it helps to mix it in.- be sure to put flour from the bowl on the grater and onto the butter as you are grating.)
- Add egg yolk and milk and knead lightly. Wrap and chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 20cm pie plate. Prick base. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Place cornflour and sugar into a 1 litre casserole dish. Gradually add water, stirring.
- Add lemon rind and Cook on HIGH for 2 -3 minutes until boiling
- Add Egg yolks and lemon juice, stir vigorously and Cook on Medium High for a further 2 - 3 mins, Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in extra caster sugar, one tablespoonful at a time.
Place lemon filling into cooked pastry case and top with meringue.