Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie


This is a real childhood memory for me, I remember my Dad's Mum, my Nanna Jackson always baking one and it was the best, I don't have her recipe but this is our family favourite.


YOU WILL NEED

PASTRY

  • 1 Cup plain flour 
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 75g butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons milk


FILLING

  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 150ml water
  • juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
  • 3 eggs separated YOLKS for filling WHITES for topping.


TOPPING

  • 1/3 cup caster sugar extra
Method
PASTRY 

  1. Sift flour and sugar together in a bowl. 
  2. Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (I grate my butter into the flour, it helps to mix it in.- be sure to put flour from the bowl on the grater and onto the butter as you are grating.)
  3. Add egg yolk and milk and knead lightly. Wrap and chill for 10 to 15 minutes. 
  4. Preheat oven to 180.
  5. Roll out pastry to fit a 20cm pie plate. Prick base. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
FILLING

  1. Place cornflour and sugar into a 1 litre casserole dish. Gradually add water, stirring. 
  2. Add lemon rind and Cook on HIGH for 2 -3 minutes until boiling
  3. Add Egg yolks and lemon juice, stir vigorously and  Cook on Medium High for a further 2 - 3 mins, Set aside.
TOPPING

  1. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in extra caster sugar, one tablespoonful at a time.
Place lemon filling into cooked pastry case and top with meringue.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until meringue is golden in colour.

  • Updated TIP :- Today I just threw it all in my food processor - I find making pastry so much quicker in my Kenwood Chef, with the dough blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment