Monday, June 10, 2013

Old Fashioned Barbecued Pork Spare Ribs


This is a childhood favourite. One of my favourite foodie memories is my Poppos passion for cooking, he loved to cook and perfect recipes. I loved calling in on my way home from work, as I drove by his front door twice a day and test out his latest recipe. But I recall vividly his Chinese phase and I now have his book, although when I moved out if home, he did purchase me one of my own. But when he died I requested his, with book, with its tried and tested food dribbled pages.
If you can get a copy of the Australian Woman's Weekly Home Library CHINESE Cooking Class Cookbook, I recommend you do, or if you have a copy of it bring it out and cook an old fashioned Chinese Banquet like my Pop used to... Yes we were treated to a 20 course banquet one night... He really loved to cook. I believe I am very much like him, our passions the same, no matter the medium we create something everyday.
Ok back to the recipe.
YOU WILL NEED
  • 1kg pork spare ribs
  • 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 4 tablespoons brown vinegar (I've substituted apple cider here as I don't always have malt vinegar in the cupboard)
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese chilli sauce (make the effort it is really red and it helps with the rich red colour)
  • 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2.5cm piece of green ginger
Method
  1. Put pork spare ribs in large saucepan of water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered 20 minutes, this helps remove any excess fat.(it is also convenient if you are like me and decide to cook this by looking in the freezer and seeing frozen spare ribs - pop them in frozen and they soon defrost)
  2. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Drain pork and put into a baking dish, pour over combined and mixed sauces and leave to marinate at least one hour, turning occasionally. (This really helps to soften the pork as well, for that falling of the bone kind of ribs)
  3. Bake in a moderately hot oven for one hour, or until pork is tender and the smell is driving the household crazy, baste frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment