Sunday, June 16, 2013

Banana, Fig & Macadamia Bread




With Figs in season, I have been buying them at Harris Farm while they are on sale. We have enjoyed them with salads, and just as they are but I wanted to cook up the softer ones, but not jam, and after eating some Banana bread at a cafe this week, I thought, there has to be a fig bread somewhere. Well it seems I am not alone in my desire and there are many out there all adapted versions, so with that in mind, I read them all and then went to the kitchen and played this is what I decided on....the proof is in the baking.!!!

YOU WILL NEED
  • 4 Bananas - the kind that nobody wants to eat cause the skins are black but not yet attracting the fruit fly.
  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 2/3 Cup Panella (if you don't have this use brown sugar)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups Self Raising flour ( i would have prefered to use wholemeal so next time i will)
  • 4 fresh figs, stemmed and cut into wedges.
  • 1/2 Cup Macadamias, chopped
Method
  1. Place Bananas in the bowl of the mixer, start to mash with your mixer and then slowly add the olive oil so that they become light and fluffy.
  2. Add the Panella continue beating till combined.
  3. Add the eggs one at a time. Continuing to beat.
  4. Add Vanilla, Cinnamon and Nutmeg mix again.
  5. Add Flour, Baking Soda and Baking powder and fold through till combined.
  6. Stir in Figs and Macadamias.
  7. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
  8. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour
My findings, well I enjoyed it!!, it was a denser loaf - let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment