Prep Time 20mins
Cook Time 1 1/2 hours
- 600g diced lamb shoulder
- 2 tblsps Moroccan seasoning (mild)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsps finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, halved
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 150g green beans, trimmed and halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Couscous and natural yoghurt, to serve
- Combine diced lamb and half the Moroccan seasoning in a large bowl. Heat a large, oiled flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity). Cook lamb in three batches, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- Heat olive oil in same dish. Add onions, garlic, ginger and remaining Moroccan seasoning. Cook, stirring, until onions are soft. Return lamb to pan. Add orange rind, juice and stock. Bring to boil. Cover.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hours, or until lamb is tender. Stir through apricots, dates, chickpeas and green beans. Cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through pistachios and coriander.
- Serve lamb with couscous and natural yoghurt.