Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Orange Ricotta Poppyseed and Almond Flourless Cup Cakes





With last weeks post on the Lemon Ricotta and Almond Flour-less Cake that we loved, playing nurse to my daughter who has had her four wisdom teeth removed, I thought that with a little tweaking, keeping me busy these soft lusciously fluffy little cakes may be just the thing to brighten her up and take her from the boredom of yoghurt, banana smoothies and apple puree. 
Plus a freshly baked treat from Mum is bound to cheer her up right?


WHAT YOU WILL NEED
120 grams butter, softened
160 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
Zest of 2 large Oranges
1 teaspoon of Orange Blossom Water (optional, it does make a wonderful difference, I just happen to have it on hand from this post)
4 egg yolks
250 grams of almond meal
300 grams ricotta
1 Tablespoon Poppyseeds

4 eggs whites
40 grams caster sugar

Flaked almonds, to decorate
Poppyseeds

Method

  1. Heat oven to 160 degrees
  2. I use a free standing paper cupcake case, so place a selection on a tray in readiness - about 20
  3. Place the butter, 160 g caster sugar, vanilla paste, Orange zest and Orange Blossom Water in an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.
  4. Continue beating, adding one egg yolk at a time, until fully combined. - be careful not to drop in a shell like I did - arghh, I saved it by painstakingly picking out each piece, so far so good - no egg shell has been found.
  5. Add the almond meal and beat to combine.
  6. Fold in the ricotta. and place mixture into another bowl - if like me you only have one bowl on your mixer.
  7. In a clean mixing bowl beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 40g sugar to the egg whites a spoonful at a time, and whisk until stiff peaks form.
  8. Gently fold a third of the egg whites into the cake mixture.Repeat with the rest of the egg whites.
  9. My son (apprentice chef) suggested being gentle with the mix and using my piping bag without a nozzle to help put the mix into each cupcake case. - it did help.
  10. Gently smooth the top of each cupcake and then sprinkle on a few almond flakes and poppyseeds. 
  11. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until cooked and firm to touch.


Note - these have kept very well, having enjoyed one today four days after baking and they are as good as the first day they were baked - so a great one for packed lunches I would say. Yes my wisdom teeth less daughter has been enjoying them. There really is no need to dust with icing sugar, I just like the look for my photos... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment