Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas - Fruit Mince Pies

Well this is one of those childhood memories, growing up with English Grandparents, it was just something my Nanna did every year usually in the school holiday days before Christmas, as my mum and dad worked we spent those few days with either of our Grandparents, and each Nanna did different things with us. But Dad's mum Nanna Jackson did her baking with us, and after sharing memories recently with family, my sister didn't enjoy these cooking days with Nanna. But for me they are some of my favourites. I recently managed to get Nanna's recipe from one of Dad's sisters but sadly its all hard work style pastry with suet in it. So each year I have tried different versions of pastry, but this year I wasn't going to do them with all that has been going on. But Bianca has insisted and well I though I want them to be more flaky like Nanna's so I have decided to share my version.....having eaten one....they are pretty close to Nanna's just a quicker more modern version shortcrust pastry has done the trick.

Ingredients
Robertson's Fruit Mince - Large Jar

500g plain flour
160g Icing Sugar
250g COLD chopped butter
4 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons COLD Water

Method

  1. This is a Nanna Step - Put on the Christmas Music, then Pop the lid on the jar of Fruit Mince and it has to be Robertson's only, take a sherry glass and fill to the brim with Sherry then take a sip and pour the rest into the jar and stir. (She did this no matter what time of day and unlike the large jars of mince Nanna only ever purchased the smaller ones, and I am sure that's so she could pop more lids and pour more sherry glasses; But I use Brandy and pour straight from the bottle till the jar is full although I did chuckle and think perhaps I should have a swig just to be more Like Her.) Set aside.
  2. Process the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor with a dough blade, till mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Whisk the egg yolks and water until combined, then with food processor running, pour into the flour mixture.
  4. Process until the mixture begins to form large clumps, stopping machine before mixture forms into a ball.
  5. Turn out onto a floured work surface (I love my Cesarstone bench for this as it's nice and cold) and knead gently to bring together. Form into a ball, wrap in glad wrap and pop in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Overnight is good too.
  6. Take from the fridge and cut into 2 pieces and then roll out each piece.
  7. Then using cookie cutters cut larger rounds for the bottom and small crimped rounds for the tops.
  8. Pop them bottoms onto the pie trays add one spoonful of the reserved Robertson's spiked fruit mince, then using your finger and a little water wipe around the edge of each pie, to help stick the lid. Pop on the lids, then brush each one with a little beaten egg white, dust with caster sugar and pop into a moderate oven for about 25 Min's or until golden.
You Should be able to get at least 3 dozen from this Mix I did just!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment