the good taste collection - Lite & Luscious
1.5kg chicken thighs (about , skin and visible fat removed) I have just used boneless thighs and breasts and not had them in the pot the whole time as it is what I have had on hand - still good.
100g bacon picnic slices chopped
16 eschalots or small pickling onions, peeled
1 medium brown onion, chopped ( didn't have the eschalots so added an extra couple of onions just quartered)
2 garlic cloves,
chopped 2tbs plain flour
375ml(1 1/2cups) dry red wine
125ml (1/2cup) chicken stock
1 large carrot, sliced
1/2tsp dried thyme leaves
200g button mushrooms, stems trimmed
2tsp chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
salt & ground black pepper to taste
prepared couscous, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180. Heat a large non-stick sauspean over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 the chicken and cook for 3 mins each side or until browned. Remove from pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
2. Add the bacon to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, ofr 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the eschalots and onions. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the garlic and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add the wine, stock, carrot, bay leaves and thyme. Stir until mixture is boiling.
3. Place the chicken in a large flameproof casserole dish and add the wine mixture. Cover and cook in preheated oven for 1 hour.
4. Remove casserole from the oven and stir in the mushrooms and marjoram or oregano. Cover, return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes. ( i took out my chicken here as it wasn't on the bone)
5. Remove from the oven and use tongs to transfer chicken pieces to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside. Bring the casserole liquid to a boil over medium-high heat and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until reduced by 1/3. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. I have added topped and tailed fresh green beans here too.
6. Return the chicken to the liquid and simmer until just heated through. Serve with couscous.