Prep & Cook time 2 hours 30 mins
1 1/2tablespoon vegetable oil
1kg Lamb Shoulder, diced
1 Lge brown onion, chopped
4 Cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons tumeric
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
400g can tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
150g baby spinach
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Heat half the oil and brown the lamb. set aside.
- Add remainder of oil to the pan and fry off the onions, garlic and spices.
- Return the lamb to the pan, with tomatoes and stock, simmer covered for 1 hour 45 mins.
- Uncover and simmer for further 15 mins till the sauce thickens and the lamb is tender (I actually took the meat from the pan and boiled the sauce for a bit to thicken it and then still made a small cornflour water mix to make it a little thicker)
- Add spinach & lemon rind stir over heat until spinach wilts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over almonds and serve with Afghani bread (not knowing what afghani bread was, we had it with garlic toasted turkish and it was perfect to mop up the sauce...although family agreed we needed some rice next time.)