Sunday, April 11, 2010

Aunty Di's Marble Cake


This is my go to cake recipe, I have been baking this since I was a little girl and got the recipe from my Neighbour (yes I am from the era of respect and Aunty Di was my neighbour - and yes If I was to see her in the street now I would still call her Aunty Di) I sometimes wonder if she ever knows how I brag about her cake.

I remember Aunty Di baking this recipe as a large slab cake and icing half and putting into Tupperware for after school treats and the other half she froze in slices for lunch boxes.
Its the most fool proof cake recipe you will ever need. Just toss the lot in the bowl and mix.

YOU WILL NEED
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 3/4cups milk
  • 2 cups caster sugar
  • 3 cups SR Flour
  • 4 Dessertspoon custard powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 250g butter/melted

    Method


    1. This is one of those toss it all in the bowl kind of cakes....that right just toss all in the bowl except the butter.
    2. Beat until well blended then slowly add melted butter.

    Here is where you can be creative for the


    Marble Version 
    • separate into thirds - to one third add pink food colouring, to another third add 1 tablespoon of cocoa.
    • Pour into large baking tray and swirl through all thirds. bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour.



    Rainbow layer cake Version 
    • Make a double batch and divide into 6 bowls, colour up each bowl in a shade of the rainbow
    • Pour into round cake tins and  bake in a moderate oven till cake springs back when tested.
    • Layer up and Ice.
    Cupcakes Version 
    • Pour into cupcake cases and  bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes
    • It makes heaps, they are perfect to freeze un-iced and then we use Betty Crockers Instant Frosting for very quick and easy to make treats.
    • add some flavouring - orange blossom water is wonderful. I did this with a double mix of the recipe and they were the to die for cupcakes at Putri's Kitchen Tea. Where I made the below printable recipe card for the ladies and just because I can I have included it here for you to print if you would like. You know the deal, right click on the image and print.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment